Sunday, January 4, 2009

Simply Reset

Diamonds.Image via WikipediaShortly after my ex-husband (we'll refer to him as "Caleb") and I separated and I was informed of his secret lifestyle, I made a decision. A decision to try and move on the best way I knew how. One of the steps that I took in this process was taking apart my engagement ring. Not everyone agreed with it, but this was my recovery not theirs.

One thing that the ring signified to me was "sacrifice." Caleb sold his guitar to buy my engagement ring. The guitar was signed by Les Paul(we always called it his "Louden") and was the same guitar that the praise song "Sanctuary" was written on. So needless to say, it was hard for him to give it up.

Secondly, it reminded me of ministry. Caleb and I talked about me learning to play the guitar. We knew that expressing my heart would be easier if I could play an instrument. So in thinking ahead, Caleb had them make the bottom of my ring flat so that it would not spin when I was playing the guitar.

The third thing this ring signified to me was "beauty." How can anyone look at a sparkling prism-filled diamond and not see beauty? And also find beauty in why they received the ring - as a symbol of what had been brought together.

The fourth thing it represented to me was "forever." I know that must sound crazy because it was just my engagement ring, however, it sat in between my two wedding bands almost like protection. There were three rings all together that reminded me that God like my engagement ring sat in the middle and sustained Caleb and I on both sides.

The ring looks very different to me now. Caleb is not here to express his sacrifice, I never learned to play the guitar and my ministry came to a screeching halt about six months after Caleb and I got married. And yes… God is still there but only one of us acknowledges His presence.

Now the three rings are scattered in my jewelry box, much like our lives, separated. The engagement ring (also known as the center ring) has the center stone popped out. Now your eyes are drawn directly to empty prongs that tend to poke you if you are not careful. The prongs that once elevated so much beauty are now bare - because the diamond has been moved to shine elsewhere.

I'd like to think that my life is the same way. That even though I may be separate from my four prongs called "familiar" - God can still use me.

I have since reset that stone into a necklace. It now serves a new purpose and obtains a new found beauty. I pray God will continue to reveal the "new found me." It is easy at times to believe that when something like divorce happens to us it is almost like the end of the road, rather than us looking at it as a new road. Any girl can tell you that a diamond always has a purpose - and as children of God we have an even bigger purpose. So I rejoice today with you because I am "simply reset." I am in a new place with a new purpose.

Psalm 45:11 The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your Lord.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Jen Brown said...

That takes a lot to open up like that. Thank you for sharing your story.

LesleySB said...

Beautifully written analogy. Thanks for sharing.