Monday, December 29, 2008

Dead men walking....

Spiritual Deaths

John 9:33-41
(Spiritual Blindness)
VS. 41
Jesus said,” If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains.”

Last night I sang at a church in Dunedin. It was funny, we actually had a hard time finding it because it was located in what used to be a bar…. We like unconventional! After a quick sound check and a short brief with the pastor, they began the service. As I normally always do to “get in the zone,” I went outside to get my thoughts together. Any speaker/pastor will tell you that they like to have a general idea of what they want to speak on before they go up. So I began praying and rehearsing different points that I wanted to bring out about the “New Year” and how I was looking forward to it. Well any pastor/speaker will also tell you that there are times when the Holy Spirit steps in and kind of “re-directs” if you will. God did one of those RD’s last night.

I am not sure if I have even ever referenced a “spiritual death” in my life, but I sure did last night! (In an overview of the events of 2008.) This last year has presented many valleys for me. In fact, I joke that I cried more in the past year than the 22 years prior - combined! I think that the most discouraging event was watching someone who was very close to me turn away from God. For some reason, I felt compelled to share this last night - it feels like a death to me. I know, and you know how much joy we find in the Lord and then to witness someone who has experienced joy, glory and the presence of God-to watch them walk away is as if they would rather die, than have life!

To some of you, this may seem dramatic, but to others of you, you may know what it feels like. I feel like I mourn for someone that is a “dead man walking.” I observe what is left of his soul and it is sad. He has tried so hard to break that covenant with God that he is walking around with a sense of “torn flesh” and a wounded spirit. A wise pastor once told me that “hurt people, hurt people.” And he has been very successful at not only hurting others but himself as well!

I say all of this to say that death is death, no matter which forms it takes. No matter if someone chooses to live in the darkness or happens to live in a casket. But the beauty of them not already being “however many feet under,” is that there is still a chance for them to experience “truly living!”

I encourage all of you, no matter if you know someone that has experienced grace, or someone that cannot even seem to wrap their brain or heart around it…Keep Praying! We may be the only ones that show them God’s love and promises! I pray that 2009 is a year of true visibility!

I praise you God for restoration and “re-directions!”

Rendered Heart,
Christina

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: